243 Users

70 grain Nosler ballistic tip is all I use in My 243, for coyotes. I run them at 3350 fps and they have been extremely fur friendly. I wouldn't shoot a fox with them.

Originally Posted By: D_Bell70 gr, Nosler Ballistic Tip. Never had a coyote run off with this bullet.

Shooting these in my new 6mm CM which is very similar to the 243. Haven't had a chance to shoot anything with it yet, but dang do they shoot tiny little groups.

I've used quite a few Nosler Ballistic tips in 22 cals in years past on coyotes and they worked great, can't wait to shoot one with this new setup and the 70 BT's.

The 70gr Nosler BT would be a great choice in a 243 as well.

Originally Posted By: Bowhunt 70 grain Nosler ballistic tip is all I use in My 243, for coyotes. I run them at 3350 fps and they have been extremely fur friendly. I wouldn't shoot a fox with them.

Are use the same bullet at 3650 ft./s. If I hit bone I can clap my hands in it. It’s the Hammer of Thor.

I’m loading up some 55 grain combine technologies at about 4150 ft./s but I haven’t had a chance to try them out yet on a coyote. I’m shot I’m running with 90 grain Nosler ballistic tips. Any bullet out of a 243 should work just fine if it connects where it should.

Last edited:
Light for caliber bullets going really fast don't have nearly as much trouble, coming apart, as do heavy for caliber bullets, so unless you intend to spec a barrel with a super fast twist, you should be fine with most twist rates and light bullets. Of course there are always exceptions to anything.

I had my 6mm Creedmoor, very similar to the 243 Win, built with a 9tw barrel, but I considered a 7.5tw for a brief period and talked to Proof about their 7.5tw barrels handling the lighter bullets. They said it would be fine, even with the 7.5 twist. Knowing I wouldn't ever shoot anything heavier than a 95 grainer, I didn't see the need for anything faster than a 9tw so that's what I went with. I'm currently shooting Nosler 70gr BT's.

The 55gr Nosler Btip gave me more runners and floppers than I cared for, and I even lost one. Last I saw of that coyote he was running up hill, with either skin or internal stuff flapping out of his side.

I have often wondered if I had a bad batch of that bullet? I really liked the speed (4,000fps) and flat shooting of it (200yd zero, 12" drop at 400yds), so I may try it again next season.

The 75gr Vmax has performed great, with very few coyotes getting damaged. The ones that are damaged, are severe.

This year, I am using the 70gr Btip, and, so far, good, consistent results, i.e. bang-flop.

I am partial to the 60g Sierra and the 80g sierra blitz bt. I have never shot the 55g Nosler on coyotes in 6mm, but would not hesitate.

70 grain ballistic tip at 3700 ish. No runners. Shot a few with an all purpose/deer load w 90 grain Sierra gamechangers at 3244 once again drt. If you handload the 243 to full potential I believe it is the best coyote round period

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Airedale56Been shooting the 58 grain Vmax over 50.0 W-760 (3850 FPS) for nearly two decades.
Folds coyotes up..

Yeah........and at 150 yards or less, they splash like a kid in a pool! Lol. A shame really, because one of my 243s shoots them into the same hole. A lot of the stuff I hunt is pretty tight so shots under 150 are the norm. 0ut past 200 yards they hit like the hammer of Thor. Well placed shots, and they don't even twitch. Just like you hit their "off" switch.

Last edited:
Back